Monday, February 13, 2006

Mjaddarah = lentils and rice

Hey guys! I officially have a new job ... and I really like it! I am working at Mecca Bah which is located in the Docklands right over the water - a nighttime hotspot. The restaurant has a Turkish/Middle Eastern cuisine and is designed to be shared (PF CHANGS style). There is a variety of Mezze (tapas) which are bite sized with interesting flavor combinations. For example: Boureks are minced lamb mixed with nuts and spices and wrapped in a very thin pastry, baked, and served over Tatziki (yogurt and dill sauce). Bastilla is the traditional dish of Moracco and is tender stewed chicken mixed with nuts and spices and wrapped in a similar thin pastry then dusted with cinnamon and powdered sugar. The sweet/savoury flavors melt in your mouth and are fabulous! There are 50 other interesting combinations that I'm learning about but it's great!

The people who dine here are really nice and laid back. The first night I worked, I recieved about $130 in tips in a country where people "Just don't tip!" Most of it came from one young guy who was really cool and gave me a lot ... but all the waiters were really happy with me since we pool tips.

The waiters and managers are very eccentric and some of them are gay... which of course makes the place very lively and just "fabulous!" They thought that since I was from Texas I would be a "homophobe" but I just explained that I am from Austin, Texas ;) and it doesn't phase me. Everyone stays after work because we are allowed to sit around after work and have a free drink or two. It's great!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked out Mecca Bah online--looks great! The menu looks very interesting to someone who knows nothing of that cuisine. Maybe I'll learn something new--

http://www.meccabah.com/melb/home.html

Love the latest updates from you and Meagan. Keep 'em coming!

Hugs-

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home