Friday, February 03, 2006

Did I really drive in Australia?

Today I took Mom to Phillip Island (I described it a few posts ago when I went with the flatmates) and we rented a car and I DROVE IT! The thing is... Australians drive on the left side of the road where as Americans drive on the "right side" haha ... get it? Anyhow, I was very anxious when we left but felt really comfortable by the end. Too bad when I pulled the car into the lot to turn it in, I scraped the hubcap on the curb. Just my luck... when we arrive back in Melbourne... I mess up. Otherwise, it was a pretty smooth trip.

We had some lunch at a little cafe where they had, of course, foccacia and wraps. Every freaking restaurant in Australia sells those two things (in addition to: chicken parma, chicken schnitzle, caesar salad with an egg, and pizza). I guess I contribute to the problem because I think I order a foccacia in every restaurant.

We saw the Kangaroos and fed/petted them. The kangas had an affinity for Mom and kept harrassing her. Sometimes they would go after me, but after they stole the feed bag from me and ripped it to shreds, they had no interest. Mom however, had a full bag that they were very interested in. So interested in fact that one of the bigger grey kangas (about 5.0 ft tall) jumped up and KICKED her right in the legs! She even had mud marks on her pants to prove it! I can't believe she got kicked by a kangaroo!!! haahhahaha It was so funny...

Then we went to the Nobbies which are rock islands made from volcanic material for millions of years ago. There are sea bird breeding and thousands of fur seals on these rocks. There was also a really interesting area called the "Blow Hole" which is where the waves have corroded a part of the cliff to create a very deep cave. Every time a wave crashes into the cave, the air is compressed against the back wall and when the wave finally reaches the wall, the compressed air sends the water out of the cave at such a high speed that it looks like a whale's blow hole. It was beautiful.

At 9:15 pm it was time for the Little Penguins to head back into their burrows during the Penguin Parade (I talked about this one previously too). Mom got a kick out of watching those tiny penguins which are only 33cm tall waddle up to the grassy dunes to feed their young.

Mom leaves tomorrow... better go help her pack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home