Thursday, February 09, 2006

Mecca Bah

So it has been a while since I wrote because I have been really busy with work lately! I have spent every day at La Scala Ristorante since last Saturday when Mom left.... I definitely went to sleep at 4pm on Sunday afternoon after work and woke up at 11:30am on Monday! Mom must have worn me out... or was it the partying at Mecca Bah the night before?

Saturday night, La Scala's temporary chef, David invited me to meet up at Mecca Bah where he is a chef for a drink. I really haven't explored the bars in the Docklands and this is a Turkish restaurant with really interesting foods ... so I recruited Meagan to go with me. It was slightly awkward when we first got there because apparently it was a fancy restaurant and didn't have a "bar" to sit at so we just pretended to look at the menu and had a glass of wine (or in Meg's case a Mecca Bar Mule which was made of Vodka, ginger beer, with shredded lime, and a cinnamon stick) until David got off work. Needless to say, the bar closed and quite a crowd of employees had gathered at our table ... we drank until about 2 am ... on the house. The coolest part was that everyone was an "international!" There were a few Brits, a couple of Kiwi, Texans, Aussies, etc.

Five glasses of Shiraz later, I was drunk for the first time since I've been in Australia and we stumbled the 30 minute walk home. Man, I would never imagine walking home in Austin from a bar... much less walking 3o min, but we do it all the time here! Maybe that's why I wear flip-flops out! Oh yea, I also got an interview with the manager for a job there because they pay higher and the restaurant is more intense and a faster pace than La Scala.


I drank a whole liter of water at the end of the night... from a wine glass!






Tuesday, I got the job and I have a "trial" is tomorrow! Good luck to me since I already spent an hour on the internet looking up words like "harissa," "kofte," "kataifi," "harira," and "mjaddarah," which are all over the menu!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home