Sunday, December 25, 2005

It was a Very Merry Christmas

... AND HOPEFULLY I'LL NEVER EAT AGAIN!

We spent Christmas day with Andy and his extended family members at his parent's house. I don't think I could have asked for a better "away from home" Christmas! His mom and dad greeted us at the door and threw a Santa's Little Helper apron on Andy immediately... then showed us all of their electronic Christmas decorations like the walking, singing Santa Hat!
We opened Christmas presents and surprisingly Santa's little Helper had a couple for the Texans! That was so nice and definitely made it feel more like Christmas.
Lunch was outrageous! As I innocently put on my Santa hat, I couldn't even have imagined all the food we were about to consume ... The lunch menu included BBQ salmon (a 3ft one), pork and applesauce, ham, turkey breast/leg with cranberry, and a roast with gravy, carrots, butternut squash (aka pumpkin here), peas, green beans, and snap peas, etc. A variety of wines was offered and dessert followed with Pavlova, Summer Pudding, and Plum Pudding. Pavlova is a merengue type of cake whereas Summer Pudding is made with fresh berries and berry soaked bread. I'm not too sure about the Plum Pudding... I gave it a shot but it just tasted so much like warmed up fruitcake.
After dessert we enjoyed a cup of coffee and Mrs. Fawcett brought out some shortbread cookies (aka biscuits here). We thought we were finished... oh no... we weren't! We had about an hour or two for taking a walk or resting and then we were served these tiny cups with about an ounce of a dutch "drink" that you eat with a spoon called advocart (eggs, cream, brandy, and vanilla). After advocart, it all started again! Dinner was boiled prawns with tartar sauce, salad, mozzarella with tomatoes and basil, and of course leftover meat from lunch. More wine consumed... this time a sparkling red... followed by more dessert. Mango Triffel made the list along with a second summer pudding dish and fresh fruit. Another round of coffee and cookies was offered, but no one took them up on the offer!
Mr. Fawcett cracked me up because he was playing a CD called an Aussie Christmas and later BLARED music from the Rocky Horror Picture Show... definitely not what I would expect on Christmas day but worth a few smiles ;)
I came home and read for a few hours before I hit the haysack. It was such a great feeling to spend Christmas with a warm family as opposed to going to an "orphan lunch" at a local pub!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! I LOVE YOU ZACH!

1 Comments:

Blogger About us said...

Yeah, you see that everyone, she loves me!

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home