Tuesday, September 05, 2006

SCUBA Blue Hole


I highly recommend this dive to anyone going to Belize. The history of the Blue Hole is that is was a cave at one point and when the Earth's plates shifted, the ceiling collapsed. Over millions of years (ice ages, etc) the cave has been covered by the ocean and is now under water. We went down to 42 meters (despite that I am only an open water diver and my limit is 18 meters) and swam between the stalactites. The coolest part? There were 4 black-tip reef sharks and a bull shark swimming in the hole with us and they were about 10 feet long! I couldn't stop staring!

The dives after the Blue Hole were incredible as well but in a more "normal" sort of way. We dove at Lighthouse Reef and Half Moon Caye and had lunch on Booby Island (Red Footed Boobies that is!).

I got "lost" on one of my dives which was not so cool.
I went up a swim thru and when I got around the last bit of coral, the group was gone! I was way deeper than I should have been and was completely disoriented. I considered surfacing (because that's what you're supposed to do if you find yourself alone on a dive) but I really didn't want to because I knew they wouldn't let me go back down once I came up! The worst part was the coral wall was on my right and there was the deep blue on my left and I SWEAR I kept hearing the Jaws soundtrack coming from the deep blue "dun nun... dun nun... dun...". I would spin around super fast to see if there was a shark there... nothing. If you know my serious fear of sharks, you would understand that I was pretty scared! haha Basically, the dive instructor found me after about 2 minutes and I swam as fast as I could back to the group (only sucking in about one mouthful of water in the process!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home