Friday, May 19, 2006

SCUBA Adventures II

Shortly after was my final dive in training!! Then the next dive, later that afternoon was supposedly on the best reef we would dive. Well, my buddy and I (Robin from England) missed out because we got lost and went the wrong way completely. Basically, we saw a bunch of sand and a stingray. Awesome. I AM CERTIFIED!


Robin, Nigel (my instructor), Me, Edith and Will (France), and Alan from DC.






That night, we had a "night dive" which was in complete and utter darkness. Our instructor briefed us on what to expect underwater, if we saw 2 green lights very far apart, it's the eyes of a really big shark and we were instructed to form "The Ring of Steel." Come to find out, this "Ring of Steel" involves all of the divers encircling the instructor, linking arms, with our tanks facing outward. Then, if the shark doesn't leave, quickly inflate the vest of the closest French diver, unlink arms, and PUSH them out of the circle! haha of course the Americans found this funny ;)
We had flashlights and glow sticks on the back of our tanks but you couldn't see either from a meter away! We cruised around for about 20 minutes, but didn't see anything unfortunately. I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty happy to get out of the water and get back into the boat for a cup of tea! We played silly party games until about midnight and then hit the sheets for another early morning.



Nigel failing at an attempt at demonstrating his flexiblity.





Our 6th dive, Robin and I followed an instructor around so as not to get lost! It was so amazing! We saw a HUGE Cod that was probably bigger than a human, and millions of fish including Nemo's and my favorite Moorish Idols. The colors on this reef were more beautiful that any I'd seen since I was in Australia. Our final dive, we went with two other newbies and we found the reef this time (after a slight mis-direction) but we didn't get to see the GIANT clam that was supposedly so big that when it closes, the whole reef shakes, nor did we see Nemo's School where they have cameras set up to film the next Nemo "star" for Finding Nemo 2. My diving buddies ran out of air when I still had about 20 minutes left, so we all had to take it in. =( It was a good dive though!

Saturday night, back in Cairns, Meagan and I went to Rattle and Hum with the people on my dive boat and we had a good time. Then, we headed to Rhino Bar for a fun night.



Melanie (Germany), Javier (Spain), Robin, Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home