Thursday, June 22, 2006

Finally, A Great Cup O' Joe In Wellington

We arrived in Wellington on Sunday (June 4) and found a really cool city. It was especially nice because we have a friend who lives here and it was nice to see a familiar face. We met Kaz in Melbourne but she was one of the Aussies working in Tahoe when we went last year. We went to a party at her place the first night in Wellington but that ended disastrously as the anti-American comments didn’t take long to come out.

Another Wellington highlight was Te Papa Museum. This was a really interactive museum that has about 100 exhibits that explained the history of the Earth and more specifically how New Zealand was formed (it broke off of an ancient continent named Gondawonaland that incorporated Australia as well). There was so much information about the fault lines and how they have formed New Zealand’s topography… very interesting. The other exhibits included “Mountains to Sea” where we learned about all the animals found in and around New Zealand and how they got there. I could go on and on about the cool things I learned but I think I’ll just summarize by saying that it was one of the coolest, most modern interactive museums I’ve ever seen. We also took a stroll down Cuba street which definitely reminded Meg and I of South Congress in Austin. It was hippy-ish and trendy with shopping and cafes. We really liked it.


Giant 4 meter Moa bird and largest Eagle with something like a 9 meter wingspan!









We had dinner at Kaz’s house and then called it a night. I like Wellington and I’d like to head back there sometime if I’m ever back on this side of the world!


Kaz and her roomie teaching us about the native Fruijoa Fruit.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home